From: John Jolet <john@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to configure raid
Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 11:35:17
1 On May 10, 2006, at 12:44 AM, El Nino wrote:
2
3 > dear list friends,
4 >
5 > i'm new to raid. i have a netfinity5000 server with 5 scsi+raid, 256mb
6 > ram, p3 450mhz 1 processor. pl guide me to configure the raid from
7 > gentoo.
8 >
9 > note: i trid to configure it using de server guide but it faild saying
10 > 'need minimum 256mb ram. i don't know y, its already has 256mb
11 > physical ram.
12
13 I've got a nearly identical setup, except i've got the second proc,
14 but 3 9 gig drives.
15 Here's what I did: set up a 100 meg partition (bootable) on all 3
16 drives. set up a second partition for the rest of the space on all 3
17 drives. use mdadm to create a raid 1 (mirror) with /dev/sda1 and /
18 dev/sdb1. use mdadm to create a raid 5 with /dev/sda2, sdb2 and
19 sdc2. create a volume group with /dev/md1 (raid 5) as the pv. then
20 create an lv for root, one for swap, home, var and tmp, and usr.
21 mount all that on /mnt/gentoo, then mount /dev/md0 on /boot. after
22 untarring the stage and snapshot and chrooting into the environment,
23 use genkernel --lvm2 --dmraid --menuconfig --install all to create my
24 kernel (genkernel follows the /usr/src/linux symlink, so make sure
25 it's right). the only other thing is to make sure all your scsi
26 drivers are built into the kernel, not modules and make sure you put
27 the initrd line in the grub.conf. at what point is it telling you
28 you don't have enough ram? did you swapon your swap before chrooting?
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list