From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Need help: Filesystem (ext4) corrupted!
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 05:13:59
1 On Sep 3, 2013 10:51 AM, "William Kenworthy" <billk@×××××××××.au> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 03/09/13 11:26, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 > > William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> [13-09-03 05:08]:
5
6 --snip--
7
8 > >> Have you run out of inodes? - ext 4 has had very mixed success for me
9 on
10 > >> solid state. Running out of inodes is a real problem for gentoo on
11 > >> smaller SD cards with standard settings.
12 > >>
13 > >> BillK
14 > >>
15 > >>
16 > >>
17 > > Does this error message from fsck indicate that? I am really bad in
18 > > guessing what fsck tries to cry at me ... ;)
21 > >>> solfire:/root>fsck.ext4 -f -p /dev/sdb2
22 > >>> rootfs: Inodes that were part of a corrupted orphan linked list
23 found.
24 > >>>
25 > >>> rootfs: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
26 > >>> (i.e., without -a or -p options)
27 > >>> [1] 18644 exit 4 fsck.ext4 -f -p /dev/sdb2
28 > >>>
29 > >>>
30 > > Is there any way to correct the settings from the default values to
31 > > more advances ones, which respect the sdcard size of 16GB *without*
32 > > blanking it...a "correction on the fly" so to say???
33 > >
34 > > And if not: Is there a way to backup the sdcard and playback the files
35 > > after reformatting it by preserving all three time stamps of the
36 > > files (atime is deactivated via fstab though) ?
37 > >
38 > > Best regards,
39 > > mcc
45 > df -i - if you get 100% iUSE or near to it thats your problem ... I have
46 > seen that error message you give as a result of running out of inodes
47 > corrupting the FS.
48 >
49 > No, your only way out is to copy (I use rync) the files off, recreate
50 > the fs with max inodes ("man mke2fs") and rsync the files back. Once an
51 > ext* fs has been created with a certain number of inodes its fixed until
52 > you re-format.
53 >
54 > I get it happening regularly on 4G cards when I forget and just emerge a
55 > couple of packages without cleaning up in between packages. On 16G
56 > cards, its compiling something like glibc or gcc that uses huge numbers
57 > of inodes at times. On a single 32G card I have, the standard settings
58 > have been fine ... so far :)
59 >
60 > Billk
64 While you're considering of formatting the flash disk, consider also
65 whether ext3/4 is suitable.
66
67 When I first use Gentoo, I got bitten by inode exhaustion several times, so
68 I used an inode-less fs (reiserfs, to be precise).
69
70 I have no idea if reiserfs is suitable for a flash disk, though.
71
72 Rgds,