From: Michael <confabulate@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] network transfer speed
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2021 10:52:13
1 On Saturday, 16 January 2021 20:59:58 GMT Jack wrote:
2 > On 2021.01.16 15:36, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
3 > [snip.....]
4 >
5 > > 2.) The two Gentoo PC that are meters away from the switch are my
6 > > concern firs.
7 > > One is a server, another small PC run 24/7 and both negotiated speed
8 > > of 1000 with the switch.
9 >
10 > I may be way off base here, but if the switch is connected to a router,
11 > packets from one PC go to the switch and then to everything else
12 > connected to it, including both the other PC and the router. Is there
13 > any chance the router is passing packets back to the switch to get to
14 > the second PC? I can imagine that causing lots of problems. However,
15 > I would hope it is smart enough to know it doesn't need to do so, since
16 > both PCs show up on the same router port.
17
18 Unmanaged witches for the consumer market tend to last fewer years than they
19 used to. This is because their power supply as well as the components on the
20 circuit board are now manufactured as cheaply as possible. Good for repeat
21 sales, bad for the consumer.
22
23 The switch may fail outright, in which case the network fault is obvious. Or,
24 it may start failing intermittently. Typical failure modes are for one or
25 more ports to stop working altogether, or downgrade the port speed - as
26 observed by the OP. Removing the ethernet cable, powering down the switch,
27 re-inserting the ethernet cable and powering up the switch may restore the
28 correct operation on the port.
29
30 It was usually the case electrolytic capacitors on the circuit board could be
31 replaced to fix the switch, but more recently some manufactures no longer use
32 electrolytic capacitors - so I'm not sure repairs are even possible.