From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: No console when booting with GRUB 2?
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 14:34:43
1 Am 11.05.2014 15:36, schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
2 > On 11/05/14 15:41, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> I've switched from GRUB 1 to GRUB 2 and am booting in EFI mode. Now when
4 >> I boot Gentoo, I get no console. The screen is just stuck in the GRUB
5 >> screen until X11 starts. I see no kernel messages. When I press
6 >> Ctrl+Alt+F1 to get to a console, I only get a blank screen.
7 >>
8 >> I tried setting:
9 >>
10 >> GRUB_GFXPAYLOAD_LINUX=text
11 >>
12 >> in /etc/default/grub, but that doesn't do anything.
13 >>
14 >> Halp! I need my consoles back!
15 >
16 > OK, figured it out. It's not possible to get a VGA text mode console
17 > with EFI. The reason is that EFI was designed by morons. The only way to
18 > get a console is to use a graphics mode framebuffer. But then my
19 > graphics driver complains:
20 >
21 > NVRM: Your system is not currently configured to drive a VGA console
22 > NVRM: on the primary VGA device. The NVIDIA Linux graphics driver
23 > NVRM: requires the use of a text-mode VGA console. Use of other console
24 > NVRM: drivers including, but not limited to, vesafb, may result in
25 > NVRM: corruption and stability problems, and is not supported.
26
27 Yep, I see that on my desktop system as well ... never really got that
28 fixed.