From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 20:19:09
1 On Mon, 5 Mar 2012 23:33:20 +0700
2 Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
3
4 > On Mar 5, 2012 11:04 PM, "Alex Schuster" <wonko@×××××××××.org> wrote:
5 > >
6 > > Grant writes:
7 > >
8 > > > > The performance is only impacted if the sector size is
9 > > > > something other than 512 bytes. The newer 4K sector size used
10 > > > > by some higher density drives requires that you start
11 > > > > partitions on a sector boundary or they will perform badly.
12 > > > > There isn't an actually performance need to actually start on
13 > > > > 2048 but the fdisk-type developer folks are doing that to be
14 > > > > more compatible with newer Windows installations.
15 > > >
16 > > > All my drives says this from fdisk:
17 > > >
18 > > > Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
19 > > > Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
20 > > > I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
21 > >
22 > > Neither fdisk nor hdparm seem to get the correct sector size, at
23 > > least not always. That's what I read somewhere (and not only once),
24 > > and it's true for my own 2TB drive which I know to have a 4K sector
25 > > size. I'd say you have to look up the specs on the vendor's web
26 > > size to be sure.
27 > >
28 > > > So it doesn't matter where the first partition starts?
29 > >
30 > > If you have 4K sectors (and not a Seagate drive with SmartAlign
31 > > [*]), it does.
32 > >
33 > > BTW, here's some benchmarks I just stumbled upon:
34 > >
35 > http://hothardware.com/Articles/WDs-1TB-Caviar-Green-w-Advanced-Format-Windows-XP-Users-Pay-Attention/?page=2
36 > >
37 > > [*] I don't want to sound like I'm advertising for Seagate here,
38 > > but at least it seems that with SmartAlign the performance impact
39 > > will be much less, so it might not be worth the trouble of
40 > > re-partitioning drives that are already being used.
41 > >
42 > > Wonko
45 > The problem with SmartAlign is that..*.* it's magic... once you run
46 > out of mana, you can kiss your data goodbye.
47 >
48 > In other words, I tried to find how it works, but Seagate seems to be
49 > mum; and that is ungood. Without knowing how exactly the technology
50 > works, how can we be sure that it won't blow up when encountering
51 > edge/corner cases?
52 >
53 > So, albeit nice (in the sense that one does not have to experience the
54 > headache in ensuring that partitions are properly aligned), I
55 > personally will stay away from magical things.
56
57 Heretic!!
58
59 Beleive the magic you muggle!!