From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [Waaay OT] Defrag tool for windoze
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 00:37:46
1 On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 3:36 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Apparently, though unproven, at 00:01 on Tuesday 16 November 2010, Dale
5 >> did
6 >> opine thusly:
9 >>>
10 >>> OK.  I took a nap and it seems everyone on the list wanted to chime in.
11 >>> lol  This is one reason I posted here.  I knew I would get at least a
12 >>> few replies.  Just picking one to reply to so not pointing at Alan here.
13 >>>
14 >>> First, the drive is not full.  It has about 30% or so left.  I think the
15 >>> virus broke something and I don't have the OS media to reinstall.  If I
16 >>> had my way, that puter would have Linux and a root password that only I
17 >>> know.
18 >>>
19 >>> Second, it has not been kept up to date for sure.  They are little kids,
20 >>> oldest is getting about old enough to understand how to maintain things
21 >>> tho.
22 >>>
23 >>> Third, I'm not going to go to to much trouble with this thing and trying
24 >>> to get it back to shiny new.  If it doesn't work to their liking, I'll
25 >>> tell them to get a CD/DVD with the install on it or I can put Linux on
26 >>> it for free.  Let them decide.
27 >>>
28 >>> One post mentioned that this needs to be reinstalled, I AGREE.
29 >>>
30 >>
31 >> Same here. I find this approach workable:
32 >>
33 >> Tell them the machine needs an OS re-install. They can pick
34 >>
35 >> Windows - which they will pay for
36 >> Linux - it's free
37 >>
38 >> Either way they will lose their data. Give them that choice and let them
39 >> decide for themselves.
44 > I'm just adding one option.  Hope it works as is.  They are kids.  Even if
45 > windoze won't boot, I'll put the drive in my system and copy anything
46 > important over, pictures or something.  Then they are left with the options
47 > you gave.  Because it is kids, they don't want to buy the OS.  They will
48 > break it anyway.  lol  Then again, if I reinstall it, they will still break
49 > it.  :/   They are kids and it is still windoze.
50 >
51 > I'm going to mention putting Linux on it tho.  I can install Mandriva on it
52 > pretty quick and just not give the kids the root password.  They check
53 > email, play those games on facebook and that is about it.  The oldest one is
54 > getting close to the age where she can start learning to upgrade too.
55 >
56 > This is like dating, time will tell.  ;-)
57 >
58 > Dale
59 >
60 > :-)  :-)
63 Dale,
64 I spent my day working on my big Gentoo box that has a 980x
65 processor with 6 cores/12 threads. I only mention this because I was
66 running 3 copies of Windows (2 XP and 1 Win 7) all day long in VMWare
67 Player. If your kids just want to run a basic Windows then consider
68 going that direction. I ran a numerical program all day long crunching
69 numbers in a VMWare instance with 4 threads (Win XP), traded live in
70 the market using TradeStation on a 2 thread machine (Win XP) and ran
71 NetFlix Instant Watch in a 3rd machine (Win 7) with a single thread.
72 Not a hiccup anywhere.
73
74 And remember, even though Windows breaks, AND IT DOES, I have
75 backups of the 20GB VMWare disks so I can rollback 1 week in a matter
76 of a few minutes if things go bad with Windows. The whole Windows
77 installation is just a bunch of files. Restore that one directory and
78 you're back in business.
79
80 I play games in VMWare on Gentoo once in awhile. It's OK for me,
81 probably not for my son looking for lots of 3D performance, etc.
82
83 Also, I own and use SpinRite. If you want or need info get in touch
84 off list. I like the program but it does have issues and it's not all
85 that actively updated anymore. (From what I can tell...)
86
87 Cheers,
88 Mark
89 I didn't have time to dig into my copy of SpinRite to reacquaint
90 myself with that tool, but I've found it helpful. The problem is that
91 for large modern drives its pretty slow as its testing features