From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: How to know when a package is due to go stable?
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 14:40:20
1 Justin wrote:
2 > James Homuth schrieb:
3 >> There are several packages that were thrown around on the list, or versions
4 >> of packages, that I've come across that I figure I might want to take an
5 >> active interest in. However, to avoid sending my boxes into a tailspin, I'm
6 >> staying away from installing the still in development versions. What I'd
7 >> like to know though is if there's some means of knowing if/when, as an
8 >> example, a newer version of Portage is supposed to be considered stable. If
9 >> not then I can always keep an eye on the relevant RSS feeds, but it was
10 >> mostly just curiosity on my part. Thanks either way.
11 >>
12 >> James
16 > Quite easy,
17 >
18 > emerge --sync
19 > emerge -up world system,
20 >
21 > then you know whats gone stable with higher versions.
22
23 Or, to also cover packages not in world/system, you can do:
24
25 emerge -p1u `qlist -IC`
26
27 (Don't omit the "1" from the options or you'll mess up your world file
28 with packages that are purely dependencies.)
29
30 I wonder why emerge doesn't do something like this by default, actually.
31 Say a package has a serious exploit and an update was made. If the
32 package isn't in world, emerge will never grab the update.