From: Dale <dalek1967@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] moving my instalation to new hard drive
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 20:03:28
1 Matthew R. Lee wrote:
2 > On Monday 24 December 2007 15:06:36 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Dale wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> cp- a should work fine. I have used that several times and no problems
7 >>> yet. You can add the -v if you like to see the files scrolling by.
8 >>>
9 >>> If you have the same partitions on the new drive as the old drive, your
10 >>> grub.conf and fstab should be fine.
11 >>>
12 >>> You will need to install grub on the new drive tho. I usually do that
13 >>> from the Gentoo CD myself.
14 >>>
15 >>> Hope it all goes well.
16 >>>
17 >>> Dale
18 >>>
19 >>> :-) :-)
20 >>>
21 >> Me and my sucky typing. Make that cp -a instead. That may work better.
22 >>
23 >> Dale
24 >>
25 >> :-) :-)
28 > Right, so when I've finished copying the partitions to the new disk, I swap
29 > the disks and boot with the Gentoo live CD and follow the instructions from
30 > the install handbook:
31 >
32 > Default: Setting up GRUB using grub-install
33 > To install GRUB you will need to issue the grub-install command. However,
34 > grub-install won't work off-the-shelf since we are inside a chrooted
35 > environment. We need to create /etc/mtab which lists all mounted filesystems.
36 > Fortunately, there is an easy way to accomplish this - just copy
37 > over /proc/mounts to /etc/mtab, excluding the rootfs line if you haven't
38 > created a separate boot partition. The following command will work in both
39 > cases:
40 > Code Listing 5: Creating /etc/mtab
41 > # grep -v rootfs /proc/mounts > /etc/mtab
42 >
43 > Now we can install GRUB using grub-install:
44 > Code Listing 6: Running grub-install
45 > # grub-install --no-floppy /dev/hda
46 >
47 > If you have more questions regarding GRUB, please consult the GRUB FAQ or
48 > the GRUB Manual.
49 > Continue with Rebooting the System.
50 >
51 > Cheers!
55 If I recall correctly, mount the partitions, chroot in, do the
56 env-update and I always do the source /etc/profile too, just in case.
57 Then do the grub part. Thanasis seems to have that explained very well.
58
59 Someone step up if I messed a step here.
60
61 Dale
62