From: Andrew Lowe <agl@×××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Installing on nvme - not all beer and skittles....
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 16:38:30
1 Hi all,
2 I have an existing Gentoo install that I've "customised" a bit too much
3 and things are getting flaky. I've in turn taken the opportunity to
4 purchase an nvme, a Samsung 960 Pro, and do a fresh install. Instead of
5 using the install media I've just booted the existing install, mounted
6 the nvme and then treated the install as though it's coming from a boot
7 disk.
8
9 I've followed, I think, correctly the install process but when I
10 reboot, I get the following:
11
12 "Reboot and Select proper Boot device
13 or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key"
14
15 Overlooking the freaky capitalisation, the machine fires up and then
16 leaves me with the above on the screen and that's it. I need to hit the
17 power button to kill the machine and reboot, using the boot order, F12,
18 option to now boot the existing installation.
19
20 This is a new machine with a x470 Gigabyte motherboard, 64GB of memory
21 and a nearly top end Ryzen CPU. Does anyone know of any little "tips and
22 tricks" to ensure that the nvme will be seen and boot? As it is, Grub
23 isn't even being seen....
24
25 Andrew
26
27 p.s. I'll also wait until the github situation has been resolved.