From: edes <edes@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] startx Cannot open virtual console 7
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2020 11:18:58
1 Hi,
2
3 I'm using xfce without a graphical login. The system boots into a
4 terminal and after logging in in tty1, I start the GUI with startx.
5
6 This used to start X in vt7, but after the migration to elogind, X
7 starts in the same tty where I type the command, which I don't want.
8
9 I can't replicate the old behaviour. I tried "startx -- vt7", but I get
10 this error message:
11
12 Fatal server error:
13 (EE) xf86OpenConsole: Cannot open virtual console 7 (Permission denied)
14
15 I don't know if this is relevant, but under /dev I see:
16
17 crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 0 oct 27 07:54 /dev/tty0
18 crw------- 1 edes tty 4, 1 oct 27 07:57 /dev/tty1
19 crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 2 oct 27 07:54 /dev/tty2
20 crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 3 oct 27 07:54 /dev/tty3
21 crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 4 oct 27 07:54 /dev/tty4
22 crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 5 oct 27 07:54 /dev/tty5
23 crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 6 oct 27 07:54 /dev/tty6
24 crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 7 oct 27 07:54 /dev/tty7
25 crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 8 oct 27 07:54 /dev/tty8
26 crw--w---- 1 root tty 4, 9 oct 27 07:54 /dev/tty9
27
28 I would appreciate any help, since I'm completely ignorant of all things
29 related to authentication, pam, and the rest, which I suspect might
30 have something to do with this (or perhaps not?).
35 edes <edes@×××.net>