From: Maxim Eremeev <maxim_eremeev@×××××.ru>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Can smbmount handle long passwords?
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:21:40
1 Due to a little bit of paranoia I have found an interesting, though rather
2 annoying, bug in smbmount. If a samba user's password is longer than 23
3 chars, smbmount just cannot deal with it, producing the following error:
4
5 session setup failed: ERRDOS - ERRnoaccess (Access denied.)
6 SMB connection failed
7
8 Googling was not much of a help, neither was searching through gentoo bugs and
9 gentoo forum. Although there are a couple of forum entries which are probably
10 related but were never actually solved:
11
12 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-429074-highlight-samba+errnoaccess.html
13 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-418048-highlight-samba+errnoaccess.html
14
15 Another interesting thing is that the bug is definitely not related to samba
16 server configuration: smbclient still works perfectly well. Using mount.cifs
17 is OK as well.
18 Does anybody have a slightest idea what could be the problem solution?
19 >From the former forum link one can conclude that it is a specifically gentoo
20 problem, though I cannot check this, as I don't have any other linux
21 distribution available right now. So should I file a bug report?
22 I can understand that, say, 24 chars password could seem too long, however I
23 don't remeber that such limitation was documented somewhere.
26 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list