From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: new machine : case + power
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2015 05:29:19
1 On 17/09/15 06:04, Philip Webb wrote:
2 > My previous machines' (2000/3/7/12) cases all contained a PSU,
3 > but it seems I now have to buy case/PSU separately, so my next question is
4 > whether I can safely use the case + power supply from the 2007 machine
5
6 This should be fine, as long as the PSU has SATA power connectors. If
7 not, you will need molex to SATA adapters.
8
9 The PSU does not need to provide a PCI-e power connector, since the Asus
10 GT610 does not take external power. It's powered exclusively by the bus.
11
12 However, note that PSUs tend to go bad after years of operation. An 8
13 years old PSU might start losing power or voltage stability. If you see
14 random machine resets or hangups, it's usually because the PSU is dying.
15
16 With that GPU, you don't need more than 400W. And the amps on the 12V
17 rail are also not important, as that only comes into play with
18 higher-end GPUs. Other features can still be important though, like
19 protection against surges and such (think lightning strikes that can
20 potentially damage your PC, or some PSU malfunction that could do the same.)