From: allan gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Help installing skype
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 20:17:51
1 On Wed, Feb 24 2016, Ralf wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I hate those tons of abi_x86_32 packages as well.
6 >
7 > This is also not solving your slot conflict, but why not:
8 > - Use a Windows VM for Skype
9 > - Use a small Linux VM for Skype (e.g. Debian)
10 > and just redirect your webcam.
11 >
12 > In this way, you don't mess up your system with 32 bit libraries. And,
13 > of course, you don't know what skype is internally doing as it is
14 > proprietary software and not famous for no bugs/vulnerabilities.
15 >
16 > Cheers
17 > Ralf
18
19 I am trying to convince the dept and/or systems group to ship me one of
20 their "loaner laptops" that has skype installed.
21
22 But I "promised" to try to install it on my main laptop (gentoo).
23 On a backup laptop I went to the skype website and picked up the generic
24 linux binary. However it complained that I don't have the libraries it
25 needs, presumably because it wants /usr/lib32 and I have /usr/lib64.
26
27 allan