From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2012 18:17:32
1 On Mar 4, 2012 1:13 AM, "Pandu Poluan" <pandu@××××××.info> wrote:
4 > On Mar 4, 2012 12:54 AM, "Grant" <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
8 > > I enabled some more kernel options under USB Network Adapters and it's
9 > > working now. The install is about done but there were a few
10 > > peculiarities:
11 > >
12 > > 1. fdisk won't let me specify a start block before 2048 even though I
13 > > deleted all partitions.
16 > That's normal. It's a long story, but Windows Vista and Windows 7 expects
17 the first partition to start at sector 2048.
18 >
19 > You can force a lower number by toggling "DOS compatibility"; this should
20 let you start the first partition as low as sector 63.
21 >
22 > HOWEVER, make sure that all partitions begin at multiples of 8 (e.g., 64,
23 72, 80, and so on); this will save you a lot of grief if it happens that
24 the hard disk you're using has 4KiB-sectors. [1]
27 [1] http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/library/l-4kb-sector-disks/
28
29 Rgds,