From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] mdadm: failed to stop /dev/md1
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:40:18
1 Jarry wrote:
2
3 > Hm, I've noticed on console-screen some strange message when
4 > doing shutdown:
5 >
6 > mdamd: failed to stop /dev/md1 array, device or resource busy [!!]
7 >
8 > /dev/md1 is mounted as root partition, apart from that I have
9 > 7 more /dev/md partitions, all are stopped without any message.
10 >
11 > Right before "shutdown -h now" I tried to see if there are some
12 > files open, but "lsof /dev/md1" showed nothing...
13 >
14 > I can not find any other relevant messages, syslog-ng is stopped
15 > before this error, and shutdown continues as usuall. Any ideas?
18 Yep, get used to it! ;->
19
20 The problem is that there are still at least two programs running at
21 shutdown time...the shutdown command and init. Since their current
22 working directory is somewhere on the root filesystem, root cannot be
23 unmounted...the best that can happen is that root gets remounted
24 read-only. And since your root filesystem cannot be unmounted, /dev/md1
25 will continue to be busy.
26
27 It is a completely harmless message though. I get something similar
28 about shuting down LVM...
29
30 -Richard
33 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list