From: abhay <abhay.ilugd@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Intel 3G HT processor flags
Date: Mon, 14 Nov 2005 15:23:39
1 On Monday 14 Nov 2005 8:34 am, James wrote:
2 > I'm trying to figure out is exactly what (processor related)
3 > flags to set in make.conf which processor flags to set
4 > on package by package basis.
7 > Any futher docs on these P4 flags and there merits are welcome.
10 > James
11 AFAIK use flags are never processor specific. They are package specific. They
12 enable/disable the features of a package. Mentioning use flags
13 in /etc/make.conf enables use flags at global level which saves you from
14 mentioning them everytime you want to install a package.
15
16 If you don't want to mention them in make.conf then just check the use flags
17 of a particular package by passing "-pv" with emerge command and then mention
18 the ones you like in package.use. I personally use the package.use method as
19 there is less chance of b0rking your system that way (it is just my thinking)
20 and have more control over what feature goes in which package.
21
22 To read more about use flags check out
23 http://gentoo-wiki.com/FAQ_USE_Flags
24 http://gentoo-portage.com/USE
25
26 You can also get package specific use flags explanation from
27 gentoo-portage.com.
28
29 Abhay