From: Albert Hopkins <marduk@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: usb external drive
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 16:25:29
1 On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 15:38 +0000, James wrote:
2 [...]
3 >
4 > Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
5 > /dev/sdb1 1 60801 488384001 7 HPFS/NTFS
8 > I do not want to get into HPFS/NTFS as this drive must work
9 > easily with both XP(vista) and Gentoo systems. It will be
10 > moved between many systems frequently, so the easiest
11 > (least keystrokes) to auto_magically have this drive
12 > usable between systems is my goal, even at the cost
13 > of I/O performmance....
14
15 Well, there do exist NTFS drivers for Linux and, of course, Windows
16 already knows NTFS. Or you could reformat the partition with vfat.
17
18 The least keystrokes method would be to use a desktop environment like
19 Gnome or KDE and let it handle the chore for you.
22 Albert W. Hopkins
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list