From: Chris Stankevitz <chrisstankevitz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo is the best linux distro
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 00:43:18
1 On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > For the release to use new packages with their new magic features,
3 > every other package using those packages must also be recompiled
4
5 I see now.
6
7 > The only sane way to deal with this is to peg
8 > the packages at version levels and stick with it.
9
10 I see
11
12 > that's the only
13 > thing that could work.
14
15 I completely get it now. Great explanation, thank you! I'm a little
16 embarrassed though that I didn't consider there was a technical reason
17 for the major versions. I just assumed it was done for marketing
18 reasons.
19
20 Chris