From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive screws
Date: Sun, 07 Jun 2020 21:24:13
1 antlists wrote:
2 > On 07/06/2020 10:50, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 >> On 7 June 2020 09:41:16 CEST, antlists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >>> On 06/06/2020 20:14, J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 >>>> One of my old cases had plastic strips with little sticks on them
6 >>> that would fit into the screwholes. Those strips would then slot into
7 >>> the mounting points for the disks.
8 >>>>
9 >>>> No messing around with screws and really easy to swap drives. They
10 >>> would be perfectly mounted as well.
11 >>>>
12 >>>> Too bad I don't see the same with most other cases.
13 >>>
14 >>> I remember that. Compaqs with 75 MEGA Hz cpu's iirc.
15 >>>
16 >>> Cheers,
17 >>> Wol
18 >>
19 >> Not just Compaq. I think mine was a coolermaster case at the time.
20 >>
21 >> Toolless hotswap is a useful feature when regularly swapping drives.
22 >>
23 > These weren't hotswap (just ordinary IDE), but it's a damn sight
24 > easier putting the rails on a drive on a desk, rather than putting the
25 > screws in a drive in a case :-)
26 >
27 > Cheers,
28 > Wol
33 My Cooler Master HAF-932 has no screws for drives either.  It has those
34 plastic frames with these rubber and metal pins that take the place of
35 screws.  Once the frame is inserted into the drive cage, those pins
36 can't let go of the drive.  I might add, if the pins are inserted
37 properly, the plastic frame won't go into the cage either. I like the
38 design part but I hope the plastic part never breaks.  They ain't cheap
39 or easy to find at times.
40
41 Oh, my mobo supports hot swap SATA so all are hot swappable too.  I'm
42 not sure if I have a IDE connector.  It might but I'm not sure.
43
44 Dale
45