From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] aligning SSD partitions
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 20:49:37
1 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 1:02 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I have to say that here, it is not a whole lot of fragmentation but it
5 >> does seem a bit faster afterwards. I guess it depends on what is
6 >> fragmented and such. I sometimes wonder if it defrags itself. Even
7 >> when I watch the fsck when booting, all the ext4 partitions have a very
8 >> small percentage of fragmentation. My /boot which is ext2 is fragmented
9 >> as heck. lol I'm not worried about it tho. ;-) When I was using
10 >> reiserfs, it was always a good bit of fragmentation.
11 >>
12 >> Just thought it was worth a mention since this is the first time I saw a
13 >> Linux defrag tool.
14 > I think almost all linux defrag tools/techniques deal with file
15 > fragmentation only, that is to say one file with more than 1 extent,
16 > but don't deal with filesystem fragmentation (10000 small files
17 > scattered all over the drive, rather than written contiguously). So
18 > I'm not surprised that Peter did not see fragmentation after
19 > installing KDE.
20 >
21 > AFAIK almost all that modern defrag tools do is just copy the file,
22 > allocating the whole file at once in the copy process, and if that new
23 > copy has fewer extents than the old copy, it fills in the data, then
24 > removes the original file. The concept is not entirely dissimilar to
25 > the old "backup, format, restore" defrag process.
26 >
27 > Over the years I have used a poor-man's version of that concept to
28 > defrag files. Just move it to another drive (or -- even better -- a
29 > ramdrive/tmpfs), then move it back to disk (with a tool that performs
30 > preallocation).
31 >
32 > There is a userland defrag tool that does exactly this, on any
33 > filesystem. It is called "shake".
34 >
35 > Typically I only see fragmentation on large files that were copied
36 > from a slow source (over the network/internet), or bittorrent clients
37 > that do not preallocate space, etc. Any kind of streaming file that
38 > was written, huge multi-gigabyte video recording files, that kind of
39 > stuff. But the key to avoiding file fragmentation is preallocation...
43 I used shake before but it just didn't seem to work right for me. I
44 found a script that does something and it seems to work for the most
45 part but still not great or anything. I just like the way ext4 works.
46 Heck, I liked it before I found the defrag tool. I've had this install
47 for a while and it has never had much fragmentation even before the
48 tool. So, I find it funny that they make a tool that really isn't
49 needed very much. :/
50
51 Dale
52
56 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!