From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nvidia-drivers vs. nouveau
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2012 09:23:21
1 On Thu, 12 Apr 2012 10:06:17 +0200
2 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3
4 > On 04/12/2012 09:09:16 AM, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > That was the previous laptop. This current one has an ATI card and I
6 > > use ati drivers rather than fglrx for the same reason.
7 >
8 > What's the difference (in performance) between fglrx and
9 > xf86-video-ati ?
10 > Do both of them support GPU usage?
11
12 To be truthful, I really don't know the details.
13
14 My major overriding need is for the video driver to be in sync with the
15 rest of my software at all times so that portage can just do the right
16 thing (exactly like all the other drivers I use).
17
18 As long as the right pixels light up at the right time on the screen
19 and X does not crash, then I do not care about super video performance.
20
21 The open source ATI drivers completely fulfil my needs.
25 Alan McKinnnon
26 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com