From: "Dmitry S. Makovey" <dmitry@××××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why does firefox always do DNS query for www.gentoo.org?
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:55:45
1 On January 29, 2008, Mick wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 29 January 2008, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
3 > > On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 12:31:19PM +0200, Uwe Thiem wrote:
4 > > > On Tuesday 29 January 2008, Shaochun Wang wrote:
5 > > > > Currently, I find that firefox always try to a dns query for
6 > > > > www.gentoo.org when it starts. I don't know the reason.
7 > > >
8 > > > Could it be you made it its startup page?
9 > >
10 > > When I emerge a new version of firefox, it always loads that page the
11 > > first time it runs; it annoys me too. But it only happens to me the
12 > > first start after a new build.
13 >
14 > It used to be the case that FF would search in advance for the Google or
15 > whichever search engine of choice you have selected (on the top RH search
16 > window) by prefetching some relevant pages. Could this have something to
17 > do with your case? Other than that my guess is that you have setup Gentoo
18 > in some place within FF, or one of its extensions and it loads, or
19 > prefetches the page in question. A search through its config might help.
20
21 I had impression that FF does checks of pages in your Bookmarks every once in
22 a while which includes updating icon etc. Could that be it? Snoop on the wire
23 to see what does it fetch (sorry, I don't have head of this thread so I don't
24 know if you've done this already).
25
26 --
27 Dmitry Makovey