From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] System76 Hardware
Date: Fri, 02 Oct 2015 22:02:14
1 On Fri, Oct 2, 2015 at 4:28 AM, Nuno Magalhães <nunomagalhaes@××××××.pt> wrote:
2 > I'd say the method is the same as with any other laptop: pick one
3 > specific model, look into its hardware (this[1] and a liveCD may be
4 > handy), search for drivers, search "gento" + <specific hardware>,
5 > follow the handbook.
6 > You have the slight assurance those laptops are built with linux in
7 > mind; anything else is just business as usual.
8
9 Unless they or Ubuntu are carrying out-of-mainline drivers I'd say
10 your assurance is more than slight, but I'm not reimbursing you if for
11 some reason it doesn't work. :)
12
13 If you want to run a 2.6-series kernel on it you could have problems,
14 but if you don't mind running a recent stable (ie what Gentoo ships by
15 default anyway) I suspect you'll be fine. Worst case you'll just run
16 closer to bleeding-edge on ~arch for the kernel for a few months until
17 longterm catches up, and lots of people around here run ~arch anyway.
20 Rich