From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Are those "green" drives any good?
Date: Wed, 09 May 2012 09:30:01
1 On Wed, 09 May 2012 03:47:09 -0500
2 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > Hi,
5 >
6 > As some know, I'm planning to buy me a LARGE hard drive to put all my
7 > videos on, eventually. The prices are coming down now. I keep seeing
8 > these "green" drives that are made by just about every company
9 > nowadays. When comparing them to a non "green" drive, do they hold up
10 > as good? Are they as dependable as a plain drive? I guess they are
11 > more efficient and I get that but do they break quicker, more often
12 > or no difference?
13 >
14 > I have noticed that they tend to spin slower and are cheaper. That
15 > much I have figured out. Other than that, I can't see any other
16 > difference. Data speeds seem to be about the same.
17 >
18 > Please, no brand wars. I may get a WD, Maxtor, Samsung or some other
19 > brand. I haven't picked that part yet. So far, I have had good luck
20 > with drives. I think I have one doorstop so far. I have at least one
21 > of each of the brands above too. Don't jinx me. I'm sure someone
22 > has a horror story about some brand.
25 Green drives are basically just low power drives. It's a branding
26 gimmick. Like you noticed already, they tend to spin slower (uses less
27 power).
28
29 I stuck 4 of them in my media server for 12TB of cheap storage. And
30 they are silent. I can barely hear them running even when I'm sitting
31 next to the server and the kids are running the telly full tilt :-)
32
33 I haven't heard any mention from anyone at all that they are less
34 reliable in any way. I'd expect them to be more reliable than
35 super-fast drives because they are lower power, but drive models have
36 so many things affecting reliability it's hard to tell.
37
38 One thing we have noticed is that Samsung's recent model are not very
39 "green", they spin up slowly, use lots of power and make a racket when
40 spinning. But they do work.
45 Alan McKinnnon
46 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com