From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] alternative kernels
Date: Sat, 01 Nov 2014 15:39:15
1 On 1 November 2014 11:19:58 WET, Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Friday 31 October 2014 20:26:57 Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 > > On 31 October 2014 16:16:33 WET, Peter Humphrey
4 > <peter@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 > > > On Friday 31 October 2014 15:09:26 J. Roeleveld wrote:
6 > > > > I've got a few systems where grub1 doesn't work. This is more
7 > likely
8 > > >
9 > > > caused
10 > > >
11 > > > > by some changes in used filesystems instead of any other cause.
12 > > > > If I really wanted to, I might get it to work, but I don't see
13 > the
14 > > >
15 > > > point in
16 > > >
17 > > > > spending time on this.
18 > > > > Grub starts the boot process and then, afaik, disappears.
19 > > > > Which is sufficient for me.
20 > > >
21 > > > My grub-0.99 lets me choose from four kernels and two or three run
22 > > > levels at
23 > > > boot time, and grub-2 can't handle this yet, or it couldn't the
24 > last
25 > > > time I
26 > > > checked. I don't suggest that everyone has a similar need, but at
27 > > > least in
28 > > > some cases the old grub does still have a place.
29 > >
30 > > Grub2 can do that in at least three different ways. You can write a
31 > complete
32 > > manual configuration, just like with 0.9,you can put a manual custom
33 > > configuration in /etc/grub.d or you can put a simple she'll script
34 > in that
35 > > directory that creates menu entries with each set of options for
36 > each
37 > > kernel in /boot.
38 > >
39 > > None of these options are any more complex than creating a grub 0
40 > > configuration by hand.
41 >
42 > Well, it looks as though grub-2 has grown since I looked into it, but
43 > as it's
44 > going to need a whole new chapter of learning on my part, I think I'll
45 > put off
46 > doing it for a while.
47 >
48 > --
49 > Rgds
50 > Peter
51
52 That makes perfect sense. I still have systems using the old grub. It works so why mess with it? However, I may give gummiboot a whirl, especially as UEFI let's your multiple bootloader.
53
54 One useful feature for me is that grub2 will boot from an ISO image, I always keep system rescue cd image in /boot.
55 --
56 Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.