From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSD partitioning and migration
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2013 14:31:07
1 On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 1:56 AM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Do you really want to put /home on a SSD?
3
4 My first step into SSD on my desktop was to put everything-but-home
5 onto it. I left home on a HDD. Speedup was very noticeable! Especially
6 portage-related things were very much faster (accessing thousands of
7 small files).
8
9 I later added a second SSD for home, but kept the old HDD for huge
10 directories like photos, videos, downloads, ISOs/virtual disk images,
11 Steam games folder, etc. There was honestly not a very appreciable
12 speedup from adding the home SSD, in my opinion. But that probably
13 depends highly on individual usage patterns.