From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Will a 64-bit-no-multilib machine cross-compile 32-bit code?
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 02:01:33
1 On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 03:01:14PM -0400, Fernando Rodriguez wrote
2 >
3 > Let me know if you have any luck with pump mode, I didn't. IIRC it
4 > sort of worked but most compiles fell back to compiling locally so
5 > it's was actually slower. The rest of this post (or parts) may not
6 > apply if you do get it working.
7 >
8 > I've also found that I get better performance without the -l N on
9 > MAKEPOTS and specifying the number of cores per host as follows:
10 >
11 > distcc-config --set-hosts "192.168.123.251/4"
12 >
13 > It may not matter if you got only one host. Also change the -j N flag
14 > accordingly. You'll need to do some testing to find the right number,
15 > I've find that between 4 to 8 cores per physical core works best (for
16 > some reason varies between hosts). Just look for the right number,
17 > you'll know when you see the CPU usage maxing on the hosts during a
18 > parallel build. Keep in mind that most makefiles don't do a lot of
19 > parallel compiling so you need to use the monitor utility to check
20 > during a busy time.
21
22 Annoying discovery... crossdev is picky about the syntax...
23
24 crossdev -S -t i686-pc-linux-gnu
25
26 ...builds the latest stable toolchain, which is currently gcc 4.8.3
27
28 crossdev -t -S i686-pc-linux-gnu
29
30 ...does not complain about any errors... but it builds the absolute
31 latest toolchain, which is currently gcc 4.9.2 :(
34 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
35 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications