From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] modifying locally an ebuild
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:27:37
1 Neil Bothwick schreef:
2 > On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 14:42:16 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
5 >> But do you know the answer to Nick's question about what I said
6 >> earlier? In a 'conflict' between two ebuilds of the same name and
7 >> version, one in Portage and one in the overlay, does the choice of
8 >> which one is used if I emerge the relevant package rely on which
9 >> one is most recent(ly modified), or the location-- i.e., will the
10 >> overlay ebuild always beat the Portage ebuild even if the Portage
11 >> build is newer (because it was updated without changing the version
12 >> number), or will the newer ebuild always win out, whether it's in
13 >> overlay or main Portage?
16 > The overlay takes priority, even if the file date in the main portage
17 > tree is newer.
18
19 OK, now that I'm thinking about it more (given that I'm actually awake
20 now), I do remember that I had to remove my overlay build of taskjuggler
21 in order to emerge the one that had been included in Portage. So I was
22 mistaken. It can happen, sorry ;) . Which is why, of course, I asked
23 you, Neil
24 (because you know, like, everything, just about :D ).
25
26 > It's easy to test. copy a directory from the main tree to your
27 > overlay, touch the latest ebuild in the main tree and emerge -pv the
28 > package. You'll see that emerge picks the overlay version.
29
30 You should know better than using the phrase 'it's easy' and the command
31 "'touch' whatever" in the same sentence when you're talking to me :) . I
32 kinda know how to 'touch', and I just learned how to 'grep' simple
33 strings (the operative word being 'simple'). It *is* easy, but honestly,
34 I'm well known to be the village idiot when it comes to the CLI, so your
35 easy test doesn't come naturally to me at all. :P
36
37 But it's good to be reminded of how such things can quickly be done.
38 Repeat it often enough, and it might even get caught in the sieve that
39 can be my brain.
40 >
41 > I noticed this when I wrote my own ebuild for a package and then
42 > someone put it in portage. The first I new was when they released an
43 > r1 ebuild and emerge --update world picked it up.
44
45 Yes, I think that's what happened to me with taskjuggler as well.
46 >
47 > When you think about it, the very name "overlay" indicates that this
48 > is how it should work.
49
50 I suppose there's no way to avoid there being *some* issue-- this way,
51 you have to actively watch Portage to see if today is perhaps the happy
52 day that your overlay build is obsoleted; the other way, Portage would
53 be obsoleting your overlay build arbitrarily.
54
55 I don't see either of these as optimal conditions (since the goal, imo,
56 is to be using Portage builds and as few overlay builds as possible, and
57 neither of these conditions gives you a painless way to Return To
58 Portage, as it were), but I agree that the way it's currently done is
59 the better of two sub-optimal choices.
60
61 Holly
62 --
63 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list