From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] trouble with custom keyboard shortcuts in gnome 3.4
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 01:35:54
1 On Thu, Sep 27 2012, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 7:29 PM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> On Wed, Sep 26 2012, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> In the mean time, may I recommend trying:
7 >>>
8 >>> Ctrl+Alt+e -> Emacs
9 >>> Ctrl+Alt+t -> Terminal
10 >>>
11 >>> It is not optimal, and the bug should be fixed. But it has a workaround.
12 >>
13 >> Both those keys are mapped to standard (useful) emacs commands.
14 >
15 > Custom, I suppose? I've been using Emacs since 1996,
16
17 1985 for me.
18
19 > and I certainly don't have C-M-e nor C-M-t defined.
20
21 I would think that you do. Type C-h k C-M-e and you will get
22
23 C-M-e runs the command end-of-defun, which is an interactive compiled
24 Lisp function in `lisp.el'.
25
26 It is bound to <C-M-end>, C-M-e, ESC <C-end>.
27
28 (end-of-defun &optional ARG)
29
30 Move forward to next end of defun.
31 With argument, do it that many times.
32 Negative argument -N means move back to Nth preceding end of defun.
33
34 An end of a defun occurs right after the close-parenthesis that
35 matches the open-parenthesis that starts a defun; see function
36 `beginning-of-defun'.
37
38 If variable `end-of-defun-function' is non-nil, its value
39 is called as a function to find the defun's end.
40
41 >> I might ask on the emacs list if messing with the translate table is
42 >> advisable for competent-but-not-wizard emacs users. I hesitate since
43 >> Ctrl+Alt+Shift+e is not so easy to type and it might be easier to just
44 >> hit super (activities view) and then select emacs/gnome-terminal from
45 >> the favorites list.
46 >
47 > I usually launch from the activities view. It's fast enough to do
48 > Super -> e -> m (and Emacs jump to the first selected item). I believe
49 > if you have a program in your favorites, it jumps faster (I just now
50 > realized that Super -> e brings me Emacs right away).
51
52 Yes this is my current plan.
53
54 > Anyway, with some luck the bug will be closes soon enough.
55
56 Agreed.
57
58 allan