From: Kent Fredric <kentfredric@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: reiserfsprogs
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:04:08
1 On 7/30/07, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
2
3 > 5) If (2) indicates corruptions that can only be corrected by --rebuild-tree
4 > a) If you suspect your hardware is failing -- replace it. reiserfs doesn't
5 > like bad hardware and continuing the recovery process on it will likely cause
6 > more pain that it will alleviate.
7 > b) Begin praying.
8
9 This guy knows his stuff. Last time I used reiser I didn't pray enough
10 to keep it going
11
12 > c) Have you ever stored a different reiserfs on this block device without
13 > erasing it? This includes uncompressed lookback files in this or previous
14 > filesystems. If so, you are likely in much trouble. My best suggestion is
15 > to try and overwrite such data, but how to find it? Good question.
16
17 Yeah ... definitely take note of that sucker , if you ever did dd
18 if=/dev/someresierdrive of=/home/somemountedreiserfs/img for backup
19 purposes, just either give up the idea of a rebuild tree, or find a
20 young lamb to slaughter, ,,,, just in case praying ain't sufficient.
21
22 > d) reiserfsck --rebuild-tree /dev/block
23 > e) Read warning, type "Yes" (the whole word) to continue.
24 > f) Continue praying.
25
26 And/Or maybe fast a few days first. This is important stuff :S
27
28 > g) Go to (2), if it completes at all you can stop praying, for now.
29 > 6) Healthy reiserfs, perhaps with some misplaced data in lost+found.
30
31 and possibly random files all over your file system who's names have
32 no resemblance to their content, which used to be in an uncompressed
33 reiser, and now is unpacked all over its host FS.
34
35 all the best :)
38 > --
39 > Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
41 > ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
42 > http://iguanasuicide.org/ \_/
48 Kent
49 ruby -e '[1, 2, 4, 7, 0, 9, 5, 8, 3, 10, 11, 6, 12, 13].each{|x|
50 print "enNOSPicAMreil kdrtf@×××.com"[(2*x)..(2*x+1)]}'
51 --
52 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list