From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] partitioning for multimedia performance and dual-booting linux/windex
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 03:10:58
1 On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 06:11:55PM -0700, Robert Persson wrote
2
3 > The questions I have are:
4 > 1. What file system should I use for shared storage and scratchspace between
5 > the two OSs?
6 > 2. Would it be feasible and worthwhile to stripe a linux scratchspace volume
7 > across both disks?
8 >
9 > QUESTION 1:
10 > As far as the dual-booting is concerned, I will need to do it sometimes when
11 > there isn't a reliable *ix tool for the job, but I don't want to find myself
12 > trapped into using Windows for day-to-day stuff. For instance I may find
13 > myself forced to use Adobe Premiere for video editing now and then for the
14 > moment, but I would want to be gravitate back to Cinelerra as soon as some of
15 > the more serious bugs have been ironed out.
16 >
17 > For this reason, and also because I remember from my own past experience that
18 > NTFS is an unspeakable atrocity (even when accessed under windows) I have
19 > been thinking of keeping the Windows partition fairly small and of installing
20 > third-party driver(s) to access linux-native filesystems to share data,
21 > rather than the other way round.
22 >
23 > The three options I have for this are:
24 > 1. install the windows ext2/3 driver.
25 > 2. install rfsd (http://rfsd.sourceforge.net) to access reiserfs partitions.
26 > 3. Install the crossmeta XFS driver if I can get hold of it (I'm not sure
27 > whether it's part of the free NFS driver download on the website or not).
28
29 Howsabout using FAT32 (aka vfat) for the data partitions that need to
30 be accessed by both Windows and Linux? Both Windows and Linux can read
31 and write easily to vfat.
34 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
35 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
36 --