From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dual USB HDD enclosure shows only a single disk (NexStar MX)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 04:36:16
1 On Sun, 2007-12-16 at 18:23 -0800, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 17, 2007 at 02:38:40AM +0100, Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:
3 > > On Montag, 17. Dezember 2007, felix@×××××××.com wrote:
4 > > > The kernel config does NOT set CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN, if that makes
5 > > > any difference.
6 > >
7 > > it should. Please set it. Oh, and don't forget - in 'single disk mode' you
8 > > might loose everything if one of the two disks dies.
9 >
10 > I don't mean to sound argumentative, but why shoul SCIS LUNs matter
11 > here? I know USB comes across as SCSI disks, but why should the USB
12 > system care about them -- why wouldn't the USB interface simply
13 > present itself as two disks, sda and sdb for instance?
14 >
15 > I am not worried about one of the two disks dying. I intend to use
16 > two of them, one as backup. Of course, backups aren't foolproof, but
17 > I have other backups too.
18
19 don't ask me, I only work here... but I have a "multimedia unit" that
20 has 4 card reader slots, a HD, an LCD and USB2. Only /dev/sda shows up
21 if I don't set the multiple luns option, and /dev/sda isn't the HD!
22 It's the (usually empty) CFCARD slot!
23
24 I don't know why it isn't on by default in the livecd either...
29 An honest politician is one who when he is bought will stay bought.
30 -- Simon Cameron
31
32 There are honest journalists like there are honest politicians. When
33 bought they stay bought.
34 -- Bill Moyers
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list