From: Mansour Al Akeel <mansour.alakeel@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Remove rust completely
Date: Thu, 12 May 2022 01:41:25
1 Miles,
2 Thank you for your response. The idea of "getting harder and harder"
3 is hard to accept. Gentoo has always been about having choices.
4 Firefox requires rust, but is there a way to disable this ?
5 There must be another way to let the user decide if they need it or not !
6
7 And yes, the compile time is one of the factors in not wanting it on
8 my system. The second factor is a natural reaction toward feeling that
9 I am forced to have it.
10 Another reason is the growing collection of compilers and development
11 tools and their build time (gcc, bin-utils, llvm, clang ... etc.) and
12 now rust.
13
14 Firefox itself takes a lot of time to build, and if rust is a must
15 have, then maybe it is time for me to look into something else. I know
16 there's firefox-bin, and if it doesn't need rust, then maybe it is an
17 option.
18
19 On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 8:55 PM Miles Malone