From: Glenn Enright <elinar@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Update portage cache ... horribly slow
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 05:01:44
1 On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 12:12, Pawe³ Madej wrote:
2 > Dunc wrote:
3 > > For something you should only do once a day, 10 minutes isn't that bad
4 > > though.
5 >
6 > I sync not day by day but 2-3 times a week but when I sync I want to run
7 > just after it emerge of updates (I follow new ebuilds on [1] site and
8 > run emerge if sth interesting for me appears there).
9 >
10 > My other question is if there is some script which could follow rrs from
11 > [1] and run emerge sync and emerge -uND world after there is for example
12 > 10 ebuild updated comparing to my system, or other way that it will
13 > email me that there is 10 ebuilds new and i should run sync manually.
14 >
15 > Greets
16 > Pawe³
17 I second esync. It is a nice script that runs a little faster than 'emerge
18 sync'. I have a little script in my daily cron list that follows...
19
20 #! /bin/sh
21 # /etc/cron.daily/esync.automated
22 # ============================================================================
23 # Based on rkhunter script by Aaron Walker <ka0ttic@g.o>
24 # Written by Glenn Enright on 14-Oct-2004
25 #
26 # Purpose
27 # To provide a facility to regularly update the portage tree via cron so we
28 # don't have to remember to do it manually, and send us a list of updates to
29 # consider.
30 #
31 # Requires
32 # portage to be properly installed. see 'man emerge' for details
33 # esearch: do 'emerge esearch'
34 #
35 # CHANGELOG:
36 # 19-Oct-2004 - updated to use tool esearch. Improved speed and
37 # feedback.
38 # 29-Sep-2005 - Reviewed code and did some tidying up. Changed file
39 # group to wheel to allow easier administration.
40 #
41
42 # ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
43 # ENABLEMENT OPTIONS
44
45 # set to no if you don't want to run this script
46 #
47 ENABLE=yes
48
49 # set to 'yes' if you wish the output to be mailed to you
50 #
51 SEND_EMAIL=yes
52
53 # ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
54 # OPERATIONAL COMMANDS
55
56 # main command
57 # fixme: is nice needed with 2.6 kernel?
58 CMD="nice esync --nocolor --nospinner"
59
60 # NOTE: the rest of these options are only relevant
61 # if you set SEND_EMAIL to 'yes'
62 #
63 EMAIL_SUBJECT="${HOSTNAME}: 'esync' output"
64 EMAIL_RECIPIENT=root
65 EMAIL_CMD="| mail -s \"${EMAIL_SUBJECT}\" ${EMAIL_RECIPIENT}"
66
67 # ============================================================================
68
69 if [ "${ENABLE}" = "yes" ]; then
70
71 if [ -x /usr/bin/emerge ]; then
72 #-------------------------------------------------------
73 # test to see if we want to send success/failure email
74 #
75 if [ "${SEND_EMAIL}" = "yes" ]; then
76 CMD="${CMD} ${EMAIL_CMD}"
77 else
78 CMD="${CMD} &>/dev/null"
79 fi
80 # ------------------------------------------------------
83 # ------------------------------------------------------
84 # check to see if emerge is already running so
85 # we dont interupt it. fail gracefully if it is
86 #
87 if [ ! "ps -ax | grep -c emerge" ]; then
88 # NB: the following text is formated from the margin.
89 MAIL_WARN_MESSAGE="echo -e ' ** WARNING ** : The program 'emerge' is
90 currently running. Please wait for the next scheduled update or run esync
91 manually.'"
92 eval exec "${MAIL_WARN_MESSAGE} ${EMAIL_CMD}"
93 else
94 # actually do the thing
95 eval exec "${CMD}"
96 fi
97 # -----------------------------------------------------
98
99 fi
100 fi
101 # EOF
105 The programmers of old were mysterious and profound. We cannot fathom
106 their thoughts, so all we do is describe their appearance.
107 Aware, like a fox crossing the water. Alert, like a general on the
108 battlefield. Kind, like a hostess greeting her guests. Simple, like uncarved
109 blocks of wood. Opaque, like black pools in darkened caves.
110 Who can tell the secrets of their hearts and minds?
111 The answer exists only in the Tao.
112 -- Geoffrey James, "The Tao of Programming"
115 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list