From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] really large inline replies
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 23:05:54
1 Really large inline replies with five people and thirteen separate
2 arguments are pretty much unreadable. I'm all for fighting things out to
3 bitter end, but not when it's impossible to follow along. I'd recommend
4 the following:
5
6 1. snip. snip a lot. Keep the point you're arguing and snip the rest. If
7 someone can't follow then they should check the archives or use a
8 threaded client.
9
10 2. Paragraphs and summaries are your friends. Here's an example.
11
12 "We agree on points a and b so I'll skip them for now. However you say x
13 and y are the best choices for w reasons. I say sure x is fine, but only
14 with z. And y by itself is right out because of i, j, and k."
15
16 Also you can work an insult in a little easier. Something like, "You're
17 under the delusion that x and y are the best choices and then proceed to
18 misunderstand w as some logic for your nonsense."
19
20 Now you've made the other guy sound like a complete knucklehead while
21 showing that you do understand his so called logic while summing it up
22 for the rest of us and follow it up with a your own argument which reads
23 and flows nicely without having to parse thirty lines hidden in two
24 hundred lines of quotes. :-)
25
26 kashani
27 --