From: Dale <dalek@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Internet not working after instillition
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 08:58:09
1 Harbir Singh Hundal wrote:
2 > Thanx for the reply.
3 >
4 > I think there is some problem with my resolv.com
5 >
6 > the contents of my resolv.conf file are:
7 >
8 > domain homemetwork
9 >
10 > Please let me know what should be comming here.
11 > I think I need to put the gateway address here.
15 > */Ryan Curtin <ryan@××××××××××××.com>/* wrote:
19 > It would seem to me that your DHCP server is not set correctly.
20 > Can you
21 > post your /etc/resolv.conf? That would help. Also, try pinging
22 > 216.239.51.99. This is the IP of www.google.com.
23 >
24 > Ryan Curtin
25 > ryan@××××××××××××.com
26 >
27 > --
28 >
29 > --
30 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
35 > Regards
36 > Harbir Singh Hundal
40 > ------------------------------------------------------------------------
41 > Be a PS3 game guru.
42 > Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and previews at Yahoo!
43 > Games. <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=49936/*http://videogames.yahoo.com>
44
45 Actually the DNS info goes in that file. You may can just copy that
46 over from another machine but you should set it up so that it gets them
47 from the machine that connects to the internet. You may want to read
48 /etc/conf.d/net.example to see if one of the examples in there applies
49 to you. If one does, copy only the parts you need to /etc/conf.d/net.
50
51 Also, don't forget to try to ping as requested in the previous email.
52 That will let the list know if the rest of the network is working
53 correctly. It may not work and that may be why it is not getting the
54 DNS automatically, as it should.
55
56 Dale
57