From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Slow network transfers ... lost interrupts because of clocksource?
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2013 10:33:52
1 I am back from my visit at a customer where I installed a new and shiny
2 gentoo server for running VMs (KVM).
3
4 Currently I don't have access as my VPN only works from my static IP at
5 home (my router seems to be offline right now ... and I am still away
6 from office for the weekend) so I can't check details now ...
7
8 basically:
9
10 I tried to copy/rsync some file with ~8GB over a gigabit connection ...
11 from old to new server. Checked ethtool for gigabit, looked ok. I always
12 saw the behavior that the transfer started rather fast and slowed down
13 within minutes. Let's say ~50 MB/s in the start and then down to maybe 2
14 or so. That is way from the expected throughput with such new hardware.
15
16 The NICs in the new server are BCM-something, Broadcom, using the tg3
17 Tigon module (exact model not available right now as mentioned above).
18
19 In "dmesg" I see lines like
20
21 hpet1: lost 1 rtc interrupts
22
23 which makes me wonder if that leads to the lousy performance (btw, I
24 fear slow virtualization performance as well).
25
26 Dealing with HPET I checked for kernel support and also added kernel
27 options to GRUB:
28
29 hpet=force clocksource=hpet
30
31 which lead to
32
33 # cat /sys/devices/system/clocksource/clocksource0/current_clocksource
34 hpet
35
36 I am unsure if I should further investigate things around this HPET-issue?
37
38 My thinkpad here shows "tsc" as clocksource ... good/better ?
39
40 What direction to go? force or disable HPET?
41
42 -
43
44 btw I saw the same slowdown on 2 NICs: one connects the server to the
45 LAN via GB-switch, the other connects the 2 servers directly via
46 crossconnect-cable (dedicated for backups).
47
48 I tried rsync with various options, scp, and even some tar/netcat-combo ...
49
50 The system runs gentoo sources 3.10.7, amd64 ...
51
52 -
53
54 Thanks for any thoughts on this!