From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: 'emerge -e world' question
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 00:05:11
1 On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 5:55 PM, b.n. <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > Paul Hartman ha scritto:
3 >> On Tue, Jan 13, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Paul Hartman
4 >> <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>> Hi,
6 >>>
7 >>> I normally do "emerge -uDvN @world" (or in other words "emerge
8 >>> --update --deep --verbose --newuse @world"). Right now, it tells me
9 >>> this:
10 >>>
11 >>> Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB
12 >>>
13 >>> I also --depclean on a regular basis to remove any unneeded packages.
14 >>> Right now, it tells me this:
15 >>>
16 >>> No packages selected for removal by depclean
17 >>>
18 >>> Based on those two commands, I'm led to believe I have a fully updated
19 >>> system. So, then, I am curious why when I do "emerge -e @world" it
20 >>> tells me this:
21 >>>
22 >>> Total: 1432 packages (9 upgrades, 2 downgrades, 14 new, 1407
23 >>> reinstalls, 1 interactive), Size of downloads: 76,235 kB
24 >>>
25 >>> How is that possible? Where do those upgrades, downgrades and new
26 >>> packages come from? What is missing from my traditional "-uDvN"
27 >>> command that is causing me to miss some of those updates?
28 >>>
29 >>> Thanks,
30 >>> Paul
31 >>
32 >> Before anyone responds I will throw in my theory :)
33 >>
34 >> I'm using ~amd64 and I suppose perhaps the ebuilds have changed since
35 >> I installed them, but have not had a version increase.
36 >
37 > It's 4 years I'm using Gentoo and I can still be surprised by it. :)
38 > This doesn't look right. Why do devs upgrade ebuilds and do not increase
39 > the -rX versioning?
40 >
41 > m.
45 Good question. If you look at the ChangeLog from openoffice-3.0.0 you
46 can see it was marked stable on x86 & amd64 in 18 Oct 2008 but the
47 ebuild has had some dramatic changes in the time since then, including
48 bug fixes, patches, etc.
49
50 My /guess/ is that since OpenOffice is such a huge package, if they
51 bump the -r1 -r2 -r3 very often and people have 9 hours of compiling
52 each time, it will annoy the gentoo population. So, instead, they use
53 the idea that if nothing is gained by someone with a working
54 openoffice, no reason to fix it (but if someone had a problem they can
55 just "re-emerge openoffice and see if it works now").