From: Peter Merritt <pwmerritt@××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Weird Problem with XFCE4 blocking ports.
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2006 20:05:01
1 I have XFCE4 on two machines, on one machine I suddenly can't use imaps, send mail on port 25, use jabber and some other ports. This only happens in XFCE4 logged in a regular user, it will work as root. I can reach these ports from the console as a regular user, I can reach this ports if using any other window manager than XFCE4. I have tryed every single terminal program within XFCE4 and it will not work. I removed iptables and all my rules, so its not my firewall (standalone machine on public ip). If I telnet to these ports while using xfce4 I get connection refused, also I sniffed the connection with tcpdump and ethereal and can see that no packets ever make it to eth0. I am completely baffled by this. I assume some permission has changed somewhere but is does not explain why some ports are accessable ( like ssh, dns etc). Thanks in Advance
2 Peter
5 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list