From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] building a machine for Gentoo
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 18:33:37
1 On Mon, 9 Jul 2007 04:44:39 -0400
2 Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca> wrote:
3
4 > (e) HDD -- W Digital , 500 GB , 16 MB
5 Do you really want a WD hard drive? Unless it's a Raptor, it's only
6 got a 1-3 year warranty. Seagate drives are warranted for 5 years.
7 According to newegg, comperable drives are the same price.
8
9 > (g) Diskette -- from 1st machine
10 yeah... you'll need one of those ; )
11
12 > (h) Case -- store-brand Radiant P4 Mid (500 W)
13 Aside from off-brand worries (others worry more than be about that) 500
14 watts ought to be enough
15
16 > (b) Switch keyboard/mouse/monitor : KVM switch -- DLink
17 Do what you will, but my advice is -- save your money. KVM switches
18 are useless. Do you really want to pay US $50 (??) for something that
19 you can easily replace with X forwarding? OK, that's the last you'll
20 here from me on that topic.
21 > SyncMaster 931BW , 19 in , 1440x900 , 2 ms
22 ooh, that'll be pretty ; )
23
24 >(1h) The store will probably confirm whether the power supply
25 > is adequate.
26 Yeah, if you want to trust sales people who don't care about your well
27 being and probably get paid on comission ; ) No, seriously, if you
28 trust your sales people, you gotta tell me where you're shopping ; )
31 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list