From: "Alexandru N. Barloiu" <axl@××××.ro>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is Gentoo dead?
Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2020 08:58:48
1 On Tue, 2020-04-21 at 19:58 +0300, Consus wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > In all honesty, is Gentoo dead? Gentoo-Dev is filled with passive
5 > aggression (though being developers-only mailing list), Github bot
6 > warns
7 > you that contributing new packages to the main repo is low priority
8 > and
9 > probably no one will help you, and even distribution kernel is not an
10 > official thing, but a desperate attempt of someone to fix things.
13 gentoo is held on together by passion. well, not all of gentoo. MY
14 gentoo.
15
16 it was never going to be a mainstream distro. might have been a fad for
17 a while, for some people able to follow guides. but people who use this
18 distro... do not need guides.
19
20 it is what is. a collection of hacks for hackers. gentoo doesn't and
21 shouldn't compete in a popularity contest. but on the other hand, I
22 don't plan to stop using it even if the devs magically dissapear over
23 night. I'll go back to lfs before I'd go back to any binary distro. and
24 I'm pretty sure i'm not the only one.
25
26 people who actually choose gentoo for what it is, do not need their
27 hand held. do not whine. and certainly don't care about "the number of
28 this" or the "number of that" or "how great that would be". you don't
29 like it? it's prolly not for you.
32 axl