From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} Allow work from home?
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 11:38:16
1 Kai Krakow <hurikhan77@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > Am Wed, 20 Jan 2016 01:46:29 +0100
4 > schrieb lee <lee@××××××××.de>:
5 >
6 >> The time before, it wasn't
7 >> a VM but a very slow machine, and that also took a week. You can have
8 >> the fastest machine on the world and Windoze always manages to bring
9 >> it down to a slowness we wouldn't have accepted even 20 years ago.
10 >
11 > This is mainly an artifact of Windows updates destroying locality of
12 > data pretty fast and mainly a problem when running on spinning rust.
13 > DLLs and data files needed for booting or starting specific
14 > software become spread wide across the hard disk. Fragmentation isn't
15 > the issue here - NTFS is pretty good at keeping it low. Still, the
16 > right defragmentation tool will help you:
17
18 You can't very well defragment the disk while updates are being
19 performed. Updating goes like this:
22 + install from an installation media
23
24 + tell the machine to update
25
26 + come back next day and find out that it's still looking for updates or
27 trying to download them or wants to be restarted
28
29 + restart the machine
30
31 + start over with the second step until all updates have been installed
34 That usually takes a week. When it's finally done, disable all
35 automatic updates because if you don't, the machine usually becomes
36 unusable when it installs another update.
37
38 It doesn't matter if you have the fastest machine on the world or some
39 old hardware you wouldn't actually use anymore, it always takes about a
40 week.
41
42 > I always recommend staying away from the 1000 types of "tuning tools",
43 > they actually make it worse and take away your chance of properly
44 > optimizing the on-disk file layout.
45
46 I'm not worried about that. One of the VMs is still on an SSD, so I
47 turned off defragging. The other VMs that use files on a hard disk
48 defrag themselves regularly over night.
49
50 > And I always recommend using MyDefrag and using its system disk
51 > defrag profile to reorder the files in your hard disk. It takes ages
52 > the first time it runs but it brings back your system to almost out of
53 > the box boot and software startup time performance.
54
55 That hasn't been an issue with any of the VMs yet.
56
57 > It uses some very clever ideas to place files into groups and into
58 > proper order - other than using file mod and access times like other
59 > defrag tools do (which even make the problem worse by doing so because
60 > this destroys locality of data even more).
61
62 I've never heard of MyDefrag, I might try it out. Does it make updating
63 any faster?
64
65 > But even SSDs can use _proper_ defragmentation from time to time for
66 > increased lifetime and performance (this is due to how the FTL works
67 > and because erase blocks are huge, I won't get into detail unless
68 > someone asks). This is why mydefrag also supports flash optimization.
69 > It works by moving as few files as possible while coalescing free space
70 > into big chunks which in turn relaxes pressure on the FTL and allows to
71 > have more free and continuous erase blocks which reduces early flash
72 > chip wear. A filled SSD with long usage history can certainly gain back
73 > some performance from this.
74
75 How does it improve performance? It seems to me that, for practical
76 use, almost all of the better performance with SSDs is due to reduced
77 latency. And IIUC, it doesn't matter for the latency where data is
78 stored on an SSD. If its performance degrades over time when data is
79 written to it, the SSD sucks, and the manufacturer should have done a
80 better job. Why else would I buy an SSD. If it needs to reorganise the
81 data stored on it, the firmware should do that.