From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] backup hardware setup
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2014 15:48:24
1 On 06/24/2014 04:28 PM, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTY1MDU with
3 > sentences like: "The Btrfs file-system changes for the Linux 3.15
4 > kernel mostly deal with bug fixes and performance fixes while some
5 > corruption fixes are also expected to come." ...sounds a little
6 > different to "stable" I think... What do you think?
7 i hear ya, but if all you are doing is something like code i submitted,
8 you have no concerns.
9 even ext4 had an odd corruption bug not too long ago, and that was after
10 it was stable.
11 more importantly there is a wide group of folks using btrfs and active
12 development.
13 I wouldn't bother with ext2 and ext3 -- fsck will take _forever_ and
14 heavens help you if you unplug the usb without unmounting
15
16 if you are that concerned you might want to make one drive ext4, one
17 drive btrfs (or another pairing of your choice)
18 and you can then guard against the filesystem choice by cycling the
19 disks daily/weekly