From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about flakey RAM
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 23:04:47
1 On Thursday 29 Jan 2015 22:13:28 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
2 > Am 28.01.2015 um 00:28 schrieb walt:
3 > > Yesterday I installed 4GB more of RAM in this machine for a total of 8GB,
4 > > and the machine soon began random segfaulting and even a kernel crash or
5 > > two, so obviously I suspected the new RAM was faulty.
6 > >
7 > > I let memtest86+ run overnight and it found zero memory errors. Today I
8 > > exchanged the new RAM anyway and got a different brand this time, and
9 > > that fixed the problem.
10 > >
11 > > My question is why didn't memtest86+ find any errors? Could it be that
12 > > the first RAM I bought was actually okay but this machine didn't like it
13 > > for some reason? Both were DDR3/1333MHz, just from different
14 > > manufacturers.
15 >
16 > Since this was not mentioned yet:
17 >
18 > Maybe because the ram was not faulty at all.
19 >
20 > Maybe it really operated in the range of allowed tolerances - and those
21 > were never crossed with memtest as a very light system load.
22 >
23 > But with an OS booted, the CPU, graphics solution, harddisks all sucking
24 > power like mad, your mainboard or PSU might not be able to deliver as
25 > stable currents as the specifications demand. Some memory is more
26 > tolerant than other.
27
28 Yes, I've witnessed this too after adding 2 new memory modules of a different
29 size to the originals and from a different manufacturer, in a box with a
30 suspect PSU. Memtest+86 was not erroring out, but the system was crashing
31 when put under pressure. Typically I would get errors when more than the size
32 of the old memory started being used. This got worse over time, as the PSU
33 components were ageing. Eventually I replaced a capacitor in the PSU and the
34 memory problems disappeared.
35
36 It has been already mentioned, but it is worth noting that some BIOS/MoBos are
37 more sensitive to different brands of memory. In those cases I found that
38 using the same make and size modules resolves the problems.
39 --
40 Regards,
41 Mick