From: Vladimir Romanov <blueboar2@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] GSOC discussion
Date: Tue, 07 Jan 2014 14:35:29
1 Wow. Can i try to do this task (aside of GSOC, simply because it's
2 interesting)?
5 On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 12:20 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 > Google, Summer of Code, is a very wonderful idea for the
9 > Open Source Community:
10 >
11 > http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/homepage/google/gsoc2014
12 >
13 > No doubt many are scheming as to what would be good project ideas.
14 > Many really good ideas come from the rank and file of users.
15 > (Gmane.org is back online).....
16 >
17 > Those (gifted? fledgling_gifted) often code good ideas directly.
18 >
19 > I think now is the time to have a robust (community) discussion
20 > on what the users of this list think would be good ideas
21 > for GSOC projects, which are Gentoo centric. My experiences with
22 > ALL current search engines, is there is quite a lot of low_quality
23 > results; which may be a direct result of the masses of those
24 > folks trying to learn/use unix/linux/gentoo by poorly formed
25 > google (et. al.) searches. Those low quality efforts statistically
26 > stack up against those few robustly accurate searches (from folks
27 > like the users of this list) so as to contaiminate search engines
28 > by the sheer number of poorly formed search engine efforts. I.E.
29 > it's not the fault of the search engine(?).....
30 >
31 > So, Naturally, here is my idea. Collectively, if you look at this list
32 > archive and other such gentoo-centric resources, there is a wealth
33 > of good information that traverses our paths, and is then subsequently
34 > burried into the annals of lifeless data, only occasionally pinged by
35 > exasperating google searches, or gleaned from the multitude of records we
36 > each privately maintain.
37 >
38 > So, some sort of tool/app/parser that can glean information from the
39 > various gentoo-centric resources and store the data for later searching
40 > would be useful. Then a variety of experimental front ends could be
41 > tested (or developed anew) to query that data with relevant searches
42 > and very targeted searches.
43 >
44 > By limiting the focus to all things Gentoo, we could serve ourselves
45 > up crudely basic, but highly valuable information specific to the
46 > Gentoo-centric paramenters that one uses for this "in-house" database.
47 > This
48 > effort would mostly priortize the data returned in searches by some
49 > sort of *quality metric*. For example it could be simply that the most
50 > experienced dev would rate a "*100" (times 100) multiplier on the quality
51 > of
52 > their searches. Recognized power users might rate a "*2"5 rating. Ordinary
53 > folks a *1 rating on quality. This system would not even have to be open to
54 > the rank and file internet, except as a source of data returned to search
55 > engines like google, for example.
56 >
57 > Other distros could eventually do the same thing, and then Google could
58 > probe these databases, gaining specific user-community preferences
59 > of excellent quality (accuracy) search-data from folks steeped in all
60 > things Gentoo.
61 >
62 > Basically, a schemea is developed that allows the strongest of the Gentoo
63 > community to radically improve the quality of gentoo-specific searches,
64 > with very little efforts. For the devs and such, it could merely be
65 > a front-end to their own google searches. Folks would not have to
66 > use this front-end, if they do not want to.
69 > So, what is your idea for GSOC_2014?
70 >
71 > http://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Google_Summer_of_Code/2013/Ideas