From: YoYo Siska <yoyo@××××××.sk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The LIGHTEST web server (just for serving files)?
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2011 13:12:57
1 On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 07:40:08PM +0700, Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Nov 12, 2011 7:00 PM, "Mick" <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > I've been using boa just for this purpose for years:
5 > >
6 > > * www-servers/boa
7 > > Available versions:
8 > > ~ 0.94.14_rc21 "~x86 ~sparc ~mips ~ppc ~amd64" [doc]
9 > > Homepage: http://www.boa.org/
12 > > It can be easily locked down for internet facing roles.
13 > >
14 > > I've also used thttpd (you can throttle its bandwidth if that's important
15 > in
16 > > your network), but it's probably more than required for this purpose:
17 > >
18 > > * www-servers/thttpd
19 > > Available versions:
20 > > 2.25b-r7 "amd64 ~hppa ~mips ppc sparc x86
21 > ~x86-fbsd" [static]
22 > > ~ 2.25b-r8 "~amd64 ~hppa ~mips ~ppc ~sparc ~x86
23 > ~x86-fbsd"
24 > > [static]
25 > > Homepage: http://www.acme.com/software/thttpd/
28 > Thanks for all the input!
29 >
30 > During my drive home, something hit my brain: why not have the 'master'
31 > server share the distfiles dir via NFS?
32 >
33 > So, the question now becomes: what's the drawback/benefit of NFS-sharing vs
34 > HTTP-sharing? The scenario is back-end LAN at the office, thus, a trusted
35 > network by definition.
36
37 NFS doesn't like when it looses connection to the server. The only
38 problems I had ever with NFS were because I forgot to unmout it before a
39 server restart or when I took a computer (laptop) off to another
40 network...
41 Otherwise it works well, esp. when mounted ro on the clients, however
42 for distfiles it might make sense to allow the clients download and save
43 tarballs that are not there yet ;), though I never used it with many
44 computer emerging/downloading same same stuff, so can't say if locking
45 etc works correctly...
46
47 And with NFS the clients won't duplicate the files in their own
48 distfiles directories ;)
49
50 yoyo