From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Default CApath for openssl [was: Importing Certificate Authority]
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 22:29:42
1 On Fri, Jun 15, 2007 at 03:54:11PM -0400, Penguin Lover Willie Wong squawked:
2 > But thanks to that, I got on the right direction: turns out that my
3 > department switched from using a self-signed certificate to using one
4 > from IPSCA, so I've been barking up the wrong tree when trying to
5 > solve the problem. The link that I gave was, apparent to me now, old,
6 > and so importing that cert had no impact. I went and imported the
7 > IPSCA root cert and now all's good.
8
9 What's up with openssl and ca-certificates?
10
11 Trying to connect to my school's imap server, I get
12
13 openssl s_client -connect imap.math.princeton.edu:993
14 <snip>
15 Verify return code: 19 (self signed certificate in certificate chain)
16
17 But if I issue
18
19 openssl s_client -connect imap.math.princeton.edu:993 -CApath /etc/ssl/certs/
20 <snip>
21 Verify return code: 0 (ok)
22
23 It seems that the openssl s_client doesn't know about the default
24 certs in /etc/ssl/certs (The one in question is IPSCa's root
25 certificate, which is included in the ca-certificates package).
26
27 I think this is also the root of my problem with fetchmail: I had to
28 include explicitly in .fetchmailrc the line 'sslcertpath
29 /etc/ssl/certs' to have the default set of CAs recognized.
30
31 Is there a configuration switch somewhere that would let openssl be
32 aware of the root CAs that comes with the ca-certificates package?
33 Else the latter seems rather useless.
34
35 Best,
36
37 W
38 --
39 English lessons for programmers #28:
40 "Fewer" is of type int; whereas "less" is of type double.
41 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 189 days, 20:38
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list