From: Richard Bradfield <bradfier@×××××.me>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: btrfs raid 5/6
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 09:53:03
On Thu, 7 Dec 2017, at 09:28, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
> > I incorporated ZFS' expansion inflexibility into my planned > > maintenance/servicing budget. > > What was the conclusion? That having no more free slots meant that you > can just as well use the inflexible Raidz, otherwise would have gone with > Mirror?
Correct, I had gone back and forth between RaidZ2 and a pair of Mirrors. I needed the space to be extendable, but I calculated my usage growth to be below the rate at which drive prices were falling, so I could budget to replace the current set of drives in 3 years, and that would buy me a set of bigger ones when the time came. I did also investigate USB3 external enclosures, they're pretty fast these days. -- I apologize if my web client has mangled my message. Richard