From: hitachi303 <gentoo-user@××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Options for "emerge"
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 21:26:33
1 Am 20.02.22 um 16:18 schrieb Wols Lists:
2 > On 20/02/2022 14:54, Arve Barsnes wrote:
3 >> On Sun, 20 Feb 2022 at 15:40, Dr Rainer
4 >> Woitok<rainer.woitok@×××××.com>  wrote:
5 >>> But if I understand the "emerge" manual page correctly, "--changed-deps"
6 >>> causes a rebuild of a package,  if one of its  dependencies has been re-
7 >>> build, even though the package does not require the newer version of the
8 >>> dependency.  So does it really make sense  to have this option hardcoded
9 >>> in a script?   Or does it just cause  plenty of package rebuilds without
10 >>> any real effect?  Likewise, what about "--deep"?  Should I keep it?
11 >> "--deep" seems like a good idea, to minimise the chance of trouble,
12 >> but "--changed-deps" does indeed seem excessive.
13 >>
14 >> I also have "--oneshot" in my updates, although I'm not sure if this
15 >> actually makes a difference on a world update.
16 >
17 > Oneshot just stops stuff being added by default to the world file, so on
18 > an update it'll have no effect whatsoever.
19 >>
20 >> I also have "--backtrack=100" to minimise the risk of portage not
21 >> being able to find an upgrade path for some troublesome package. Just
22 >> as "--deep" it will add to the time portage needs to calculate what
23 >> packages to update, but it feels like I've had less instances of
24 >> upgrade path troubles since adding it to my regular world update
25 >> command.
26 >
27 > :-) yes it seems most of my problems get solved by increasing backtrack
28 > so maybe I ought to do that too ...
29 >
30 > What I'd also like is an option --dont-stop. Similar to keep-going, it
31 > would kick in earlier. Keep-going only kicks in once the real emerge is
32 > running. What I would like with dont-stop is if the dependency
33 > calculation gives up, it would start emerging whatever it's found so
34 > far. I've found when things really go pear-shaped updating a system for
35 > the first time in yonks, looking at and updating what's updateable
36 > enables the next attempt to get a little further, etc etc, until
37 > suddenly everything updates.
38 >
39 > So basically, dont-stop would update everything it can.
40 >
41 > Cheers,
42 > Wol
43
44 When running an update after a long long time my approach is as follows:
45
46 emerge -av --depclean <every huge program which will be updated anyway.
47 Stuff like firefox, thunderbird, etc.>
48
49 emerge -a --depclean --with-bdeps=n
50
51 only then when there are as few programs installed as possible I run
52 emerge --sync
53
54 emerge -Dua --reinstall changed-use @world
55
56 maybe I have to deal with trouble here
57
58 dispatch-conf
59
60 emerge -a --depclean --with-bdeps=y
61 --with-bdeps=y shouldn`t do anything
62
63 revdep-rebuild -i -- --ask
64
65 glsa-check -t all
66
67 Maybe there is a better way or I've missed some new ways of updating.
68
69 Regards