From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: !! SOLVED !! Re: [gentoo-user] New monitor problems. < sighs>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2010 19:12:07
1 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 15 December 2010 13:33:03 J. Roeleveld wrote:
5 >> Not sure how much memory you have, but a 6Gig ramdisk mounted at
6 >> /var/tmp/portage is sufficient to compile openoffice. That speeds
7 >> things up even more ;)
8 >>
9 > The same size of tmpfs on /tmp also works even if you have only 4GB RAM,
10 > as I have. When it gets too full it just starts swapping.
11 >
12 > Actually, now that I check again, I see I've raised the size to 16G:
13 >
14 > $ grep 16G /etc/fstab
15 > tmpfs /tmp tmpfs nodev,nosuid,size=16G 0 0
16 >
17 > $ grep swap /etc/fstab
18 > /dev/sda3 none swap sw,pri=10 0 0
19 > /dev/sdb3 none swap sw,pri=10 0 0
20 > /dev/sda7 none swap sw,pri=1 0 0
21 > /dev/sdb7 none swap sw,pri=1 0 0
22 >
23 > /dev/sdX3 are 2GB and /dev/sdX7 are 20GB (probably far too much swap,
24 > but disks are cheap).
28 Interesting. I didn't know it would go to swap when it started getting
29 full.
30
31 Considering a emerge -e world takes about 3 days on my old rig and only
32 takes about 10 hours on my new one, I already got a pretty good
33 increase. We are always looking for more tho ain't we? lol
34
35 Dale
36